Monday, December 13, 2010

Cold? Uff da. You don't know from cold!

This past weekend I took a quick drive up to Winnipeg, Manitoba to attend the funeral of my great aunt Julie. My dad (Sir Richard) was flying in to help handle some of the estate issues and to represent the Toronto branch of the family so I thought that I'd join him.

My timing was impeccable.

A few hours after I left Minneapolis it started snowing. Really, really snowing. Hard.
Sunday morning, this happened.


Which led to this:


Actually, there are probably a whole buncha things that led to that, but anyhow...

When I arrived home, here's what I found.



There were 16" of snow on the ground at home, conservatively speaking. The driveway had not been shoveled, but some enterprising neighborhood kids had knocked on the door and offered to clear the sidewalk for $10. Great deal for Laura. Fortunately for myself, I had stopped in Fargo, ND and purchased a brand-new, secondhand refurbished snowblower.

In about an hour, the rest of the work was done.

On the positive side of the coin, it's nice and warm here in Minneapolis at -10F this morning. As Einstein said, everything's relative... it was -40F in Winnipeg yesterday morning. That's why they plug in their cars there. No joke. This is a public parking lot with free plug-ins for your block heater.

Awesome. My dad rode back down with me to minneapolis, and will be here for the week. maybe we'll be dug out by then... and maybe Brett will stop crying...


2 comments:

  1. i just arrived at your blog to not one, not two, but THREE new posts! very exciting! can't believe all the snow you guys have had!! and thanks for the laughs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been thinking about you guys. And we thought we had it bad in Nashville with our whopping 1 inch of snow and 17 degree weather.

    ReplyDelete